All dogs bark at one time or another. I’ve had a dozen or so dogs during my lifetime and I have heard all of them bark at various times. But for the last fifteen years I’ve owned small, toy breeds such as Maltese, Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas, and Dachshunds and the barking is unbelievable! I decided to investigate why this occurs.
Dogs bark when they have something to tell us or when something is different in their surroundings and they need to evaluate the situation. Just like infants and toddlers, making noise gets attention from the creatures around you who are able to help. I currently have a male Maltese and a female Yorkshire Terrier at my house. I have taken a survey over the past two weeks and found that they are most likely to bark when:
- they run out of drinking water and need for me to refill it
- they are missing a favorite toy and want me to locate it
- they hear an unusual sound and want me to know about it
- they hear a vehicle that they are not familiar with, or that makes a loud annoying sound, such as the garbage truck or a furniture delivery truck
- they hear an unfamiliar voice
- someone they do not know comes too close to them
- someone they do know tries to leave them
Dogs truly are man’s best friend. If we treat them with respect and dignity they will give us years of faithful companionship.
Connie Ragen Green has been a dog lover for half a century and currently shares her home with three dogs, a cat, and a King snake. You can find out more about training your small dog by visiting http://www.YorkshireTerriersAreTheBest.com
Tags: chihuahua clothes, chihuahua clothing, teacup chihuahua clothes